Skip to main content

The Transformation of Ceremony

Ordination Day


I want to say something about the transformational aspect of a ceremony. Like wine to blood, from person to priest, practice enlightenment as transmogrification. Like cucumbers to pickles, surprise! 

I underestimated the ceremony. After pursuing ordination for nine years I had visualized it into nothing. Having junior monks pass me by, then disrobe, then put the robe back on before I even got to wear it once lent a sobering perspective. Imagination dispensed. I sat and stitched and lived practice in a way where oryoki wasn't a treat, Zazen wasn't something I could talk about, and robes started to have gravity- they were not without weight. 

And I think that's the first element of my ceremony: a period of discernment and someone to discern with. In the case of ordination, my teacher, our tanto, and other priests served as mirrors and sounding boards for these two questions: Why do I want to be a priest and what is a priest? It was about as clear as wine transmogrifying into blood. A good ol' fashion unofficial koan. 

The time passed. Nine years from my jukai sometimes felt like twenty years and sometimes felt like three months. Zen temples have an interesting way of keeping time- wooden blocks count minutes, days off are on "four" and "nine" days. I don't know if this is  zen skillful or  zen medieval, but for me it's skillful. This diversion from clocks and calendars help the retreat sink in. 

Retreat was the second element of the ceremony. For me it was a retreat within a retreat- I left Tassajara to go to Green Gulch. But it was effective because it gave me a new sense of space. I was given a guest room, and after three years of absence, I didn't really know many of the students at Green Gulch anymore. Silence came easy. And I was surprised by how new I felt- I forgot about my history at Green Gulch, I forgot about Tassajara. There's a certain intimacy in feeling new. While you're being asked "who are you?" you're also asking yourself "who am I?" 

And I think intimacy comes from being witnessed, and that was the third element of my ordination. I bowed to my family during the ceremony. My head was shaved by my dharma brother who has nurtured me for years*. My teacher and I locked eyes as I recited my vows- about 8 minutes worth of memorization. She helped me when I stumbled. Senior priests helped me tie my okesa on as I floundered in a sea of black fabric. Intimacy also became an invitation- two of the guests shared grievances, personal ones, that they had with me. This is what I asked for by becoming a priest, and it started right away. 

Ceremony is cathartic, and  I believe, like Dogen says In the Circle of The Way, you're first step is also your arrival. It's popular to say ceremonies are for who you already are. That's true, but this one was a threshold for me. It reminded me of becoming a father- after catching our baby girl an enormous amount of energy became available. After ordination, wearing the symbol of the Buddha and being accountable, I found the capacity to listen and the courage to be vulnerable. 

I'd like to repeat that I underestimated this day. I had been living like a priest for so long, I memorized the lines, I couldn't imagine what would really change. People would ask me, so what will change after ordination, and since I can't give talks or see students until I've been shuso (maybe about 5 yrs from now? It's not really guaranteed) I didn't have a great answer. I go to priest meetings and trainings, I shave my head with a razor every four days, and I have a lot of fabric to manage (it's like trying to make your bed while you're still sleeping in it). But something did change. 

What changed? I don't know yet. But for those of you who have become mothers or fathers, it feels similar to that shift. Suddenly the world is less about you and even though you have more responsibility, you also feel more relaxed because you have less of an agenda. The agenda didn't drop mentally, but it dropped because there was no room for it- you pick up the Buddha's robe and you have to put down whatever you were carrying. You only have two hands.

I feel like a good bridge, long engineered and quiet and strong. People don't really need you, they could find another way around, but it's nice you're there. It's scenic, too. And it will require maintenance. 

*The teacher, as shown in the picture, shaves the shura-a spot of hair. A senior priest usually shaves the head of the ordinand in a ceremony in front of the alter. I chanted and he shaved my head. He's also Sicilian, which is helpful because we both have thick, stubborn hair! 

Comments

  1. Oh Sweetheart, that's exactly how I feel - I am so happy for you! Even though it has been a long time ago, I feel part of your (and Lauren's) journey, and yes, it's very much like parenthood. You hear a lot about it, but once it's happening for you, it's totally different.

    I remember you asked as guest student why we do those ceremonies, and I tried to answer truthfully from my own experience, and I think you got it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember! I think I was a little skeptical, but now feel in accord. Thank you for the book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …

Vows and Compass

Being in new Orleans reminds me that my way seeking mind ripened here. Maybe it was the level of maturity my father's recovery actualized. Maybe it was the Ben Wren book I found at Beaucoup Books on my lunch break. Maybe it was my step mom's copy of things fall apart by Pema Chodron sitting in the bathroom.

Later I would witness the host of suffering post-katrina offered to a young public school teacher. How could I help? I took my first set of vows not really knowing where they would lead, like the old black metal compass my dad put in my Christmas stocking when I was about ten. Beautiful to hold, difficult to understand.

Now, years later, I feel a bit subdued as form,sensation, perception, impulse, and thought tag everything, beckoning some purchase for the price of belief. I'm home, but a home leaver. People wonder when I'll move back and being a home leaver means being ready to leave home again and again, which could mean coming back.

How will I actually engage all…