Skip to main content

If You Hang Around Buddhists, You're Gonna Get Your Hair Cut.


Radical Dharma: Talking Race, Love, and Liberation by [Williams, angel Kyodo, Owens, Lama Rod, Syedullah, Jasmine]


My dad used to say that all the time. When he said if you hang around the barber shop, you're gonna get your hair cut, he meant that the company you keep can influence your actions. Mostly he was warning me about drinking, but I'm extending this maxim to positive influences in my life too, like Buddha.

My dad literally got his hair cut once a week as a career Marine. And I tend to keep my hair short too, shaving on 4 & 9 days (that's any day that ends with a 4 or 9, like the 14th, the 19th, the 24th, etc.) And when we take precepts, our teacher ask if they can cut the first lock of our hair but admonish that only Buddha can cut the last lock, which I'm pretty sure is not in reference to anything that will grow on the top of this head.

I think when our teachers say that only Buddha can cut the last lock they mean we're on a path of perpetual cutting away- and one thing that is happening at Tassjara right now is the cutting away of white ignorance around white privilege. Angel Kyodo Williams, author of Radical Dharma and Being Black, is there cutting the first locks- but only white people, with a lot of help from Buddha, will be able to cut the last locks.

She advises that we study our white history. Just reading Howard Zinn's A People's History of The United States would be a good start. Did you know that more black people and more native americans fought for the british then for the revolution? They figured they'd get a better deal with the british. The british did outlaw slavery in 1772 (not really effective until 1833) while America did not until 1865 (while Jim Crow laws suppressed black liberation until 1965). The more I read, the harder it is for me wax nostalgically about history.

And I think that's what awakening is about. Continuous unveiling of constructs which obstruct liberation.

Having Angel come to Tassajara to co-lead a retreat with Green Gulch abbess Fu has been a breath of fresh air and timely for me. I've been at Tassajara for about 3 years now and relatively sheltered from much of the political unrest. I return to Green Gulch this fall. They've been actively engaging with white privilege and racial division as the summer theme. I'm excited to return and pick this work up again. I'm grateful our leadership is taking up a clear position on the issue and not trying to hide behind some spiritual bypassing apolitical stance. Besides, politics stop where people begin.

People like Upali, who was the barber for Shakyamuni's royal family 2500 years ago in India. The story goes, as the Buddha was ordaining his family members, he ordained Upali first to make a point and make it easier for Upali to have faith in his own Buddha nature and to bring some humility to the royal family.

So when people, usually white males, push back against our initiative to provide this education in a dharma context, this story helps. We're just continuing that work. We can't be liberated until all beings are liberated, and as long as western zen centers remain predominantly white, we need to focus on the conventional liberation. There's a reason we practice in monasteries- they meet the human hierarchy of needs- food, shelter, warmth-and right now people of color are sorely under represented because these spaces are still very white and full of white myths.  Just to be clear, I am not proselytizing or wanting to force people of color to convert to Buddhism or leave their own religions and cultures but I want to address the myths and values that are making people feel unwelcome or out of place or worse.

Some of the white myths I encounter (again, usually when talking with white men) are: "Hey! I'm not privileged, I grew up poor and in the ghetto, living side by side with people of color."

I think the most alarming thing here is that when these men see people of color, they often like to offer that information, like, "Hey, I grew up in the hood." This sharing operates on the premise that they think that black=ghetto.

My second problem with this myth is that if it were true, if you grew up in the "ghetto" why aren't you seeing that what your white friends can get away with your black friends can't. I've never lived in the ghetto, but I did grow up in culturally diverse space, due to my father's enlistment in the Marine Corps. So, having close friends who are people of color, what I saw was they were afraid on a daily basis of things I never feared, like walking to the corner store. My friends were afraid of being stopped by police and wrapped up in something that would be inflated, exaggerated, and pursued at the highest level of the law. I witnessed this over and over. At the current time, I've got a white friend who carries a fire arm and deals drugs and has never been arrested, while last year one of my students, who dabbled in illicit activities is dead. Found shot and burned in a car. This year I found that one of my friends, who had been out of contact for 3 years, is serving a 10 year sentence for something I don't think a white person would be prosecuted so harshly for. He is an army veteran and took jukai.

These white myths say things like "I'm a color too" and there is such a thing a reverse racism. Semantically, yes, white people could be judged by the color of their skin- and you know what happens? Their feelings get hurt.

Historical racism toward black people and people of color ends in bloodshed or threat to life or severe imbalance of wealth.

I could go on and on and apologize for the soap box.

Actually, no I don't.

As americans, we live on stolen lands that was cleared and settled by stolen people.

Finally, when I see white men shiver when they hear Black Lives Matter and shout back All Life Matters, I offer this metaphor.

It's like your friend coming up to you and saying my dog died yesterday or my dog is dying right now and you shouting "My dog died when I was kid!"

Like Angel said in class- it's true as an imigrant nation we all pulled ourselves up by our bootstraps. But do you consider who made the boot straps? Were the people who made the boot straps paid? And who's land do the boots stand on?




Comments

  1. yeah that's a good point your father makes !

    i would just be wary of getting too bound up in other peoples agendas though, your student being shot and killed and your friend being jailed for then years are by far the major issues!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …

Vows and Compass

Being in new Orleans reminds me that my way seeking mind ripened here. Maybe it was the level of maturity my father's recovery actualized. Maybe it was the Ben Wren book I found at Beaucoup Books on my lunch break. Maybe it was my step mom's copy of things fall apart by Pema Chodron sitting in the bathroom.

Later I would witness the host of suffering post-katrina offered to a young public school teacher. How could I help? I took my first set of vows not really knowing where they would lead, like the old black metal compass my dad put in my Christmas stocking when I was about ten. Beautiful to hold, difficult to understand.

Now, years later, I feel a bit subdued as form,sensation, perception, impulse, and thought tag everything, beckoning some purchase for the price of belief. I'm home, but a home leaver. People wonder when I'll move back and being a home leaver means being ready to leave home again and again, which could mean coming back.

How will I actually engage all…