Skip to main content

Little Black Shorts, Mermaid Babies, Poetry of the Mountains

I'm out on another shop run for Tassajara. Dump, chlorine, straw for compost- nothing too exciting. Dropped the garden manager off at the dentist, ran into the work leader at REI. I bought a bathing suit- first time in...10+ years? I usually just swim in running shorts or shorts. Callio really likes to swim.

She went completely under for the first time when we were visiting my mother two weeks ago. Shes was down on the beach of our lake house getting braver and braver. First she got her foot stuck in some muck, and turned to us and said "Up, up, up." She says it like a little tyrant. She also says it when she wants down. She must have got both feet stuck where the imported sand turns to soggy leaf litter and mud, tried to jump, and then fell forward. She turned to her back and I could see her sharp blue eyes staring up at me from under the water. She looked like a mermaid, comfortable and curious down there.

I yanked her out. She cried a bit then pooped on the beach and continued to play.

I was totally over dressed for a graduation lake party. I recently asked my teacher when to wear samue and when to not wear it and what I should wear if I'm not wearing samue. Samue is clerical wear for a zen monk/priest and looks like a karate out fit or sushi chef uniform. She answered in the first person- when in temples, samue, when with family, something modest, dignified, which I interpreted as a black shirt, black pants.

It's tough to shop these days. I'm 34 and everything feels inappropriate at the Gap or H&M. Every leg seems to be a skinny leg. I don't even have skinny ankle. All those pants made me look like I was still in diapers.

Enter Richard at Macy's. I said, look Richard, I'm not a karate master, I'm a seminarian, and I need a black outfit to go home in. He did great! In 20 min he got me shoes, pants, shirt, and belt for about 150. And socks too! I was proud and felt good.

Then my college age brother said, "You going to the night club?" and my uncle said "Nope, it's time for a good ol fashioned revival" in reference to the white food tent and my black outfit.

Okay, so the shirt is a little shiny.

Anyway, I spent most of the time at that party in my running shorts, which are old school like my daddy wore- very short. So much for modesty.

On the inside, I was feeling nostalgia and sadness. The lake was beautiful. I drank some beer and put my feet in the water. My wife chatted with people, my daughter ran around the yard and pestered her great grandmother who pestered back. I saw high school friends float by (literally).  We waved and looked at each other incredulously.

My youngest sister graduated from the high school my parents and all of us graduated from, North Pocono. We ate pizza the night of the graduation and meat balls at the party, like we did for all of the the kid's graduations.

It felt quieter. I'm quieter. The house will be quieter as two kids are in college, and two of us are all grown up, married, working.

I ordain this September. My oldest-younger sister is a social worker. My oldest-younger brother has a great internship and is living with that sister this summer. In some ways, things are so different and in other ways, like at the morning breakfast table, nothing has changed- sister feeding us, brother is contently quiet, I'm all existential or comedic.

We fly back across the country and my little monk family descends back into Tassajara, where the sky whispers "When I see you again it will be in mountains." We give up meatballs and sausage for millet and home made indian food- chickpea dumplings, fermented tealeaf salad, and things like that.

I go to sleep in our little cabin and say to myself, I love my life, I love my life, I love my life, and it sounds true.


Comments

  1. funny, what i love which is travelling by myself i won't do anymore, too wearing or traumatic, easier to sit in what is effectively a hermitage with most of my time on the net ! ?

    steak, brussel sprouts, cooked radishes and parsnip peelings (not the skin!) for dinner !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …

Vows and Compass

Being in new Orleans reminds me that my way seeking mind ripened here. Maybe it was the level of maturity my father's recovery actualized. Maybe it was the Ben Wren book I found at Beaucoup Books on my lunch break. Maybe it was my step mom's copy of things fall apart by Pema Chodron sitting in the bathroom.

Later I would witness the host of suffering post-katrina offered to a young public school teacher. How could I help? I took my first set of vows not really knowing where they would lead, like the old black metal compass my dad put in my Christmas stocking when I was about ten. Beautiful to hold, difficult to understand.

Now, years later, I feel a bit subdued as form,sensation, perception, impulse, and thought tag everything, beckoning some purchase for the price of belief. I'm home, but a home leaver. People wonder when I'll move back and being a home leaver means being ready to leave home again and again, which could mean coming back.

How will I actually engage all…