Skip to main content

Studying, Way Seeking Mind, and The Path

There are maps and there is your compass. My dad taught me never to go into the woods without a compass, even if you think you know the trail. These maps and this compass will help me navigate, but they are not the mountain or the path, not the deep red manzanita trees growing on Mt. Tam. I think dharma and practice are like this.

For instance, we sell maps of Mt. Tam:

Mt. Tam overlooking Green Gulch

These maps are made with the best intention and updated regularly by the park service. However, how many times have I been out there to find that this trail is grown over, this trail is closed, this trail cannot be found? So mapping the path and walking the path are two entirely different things. And it's only with my compass that I can sort of feel the ground beneath me. Sutras and way seeking mind are like this. 

When I open a sutra my heart floats above the spacious pages, the concepts, the poetry. The excitement for exploration meeting the promise for what lay beyond the pages can be down right intoxicating. I have to admit, I spend more time looking at maps than I do hiking. I have to admit that sometimes the sutra obscures what's really alive for me. But the compass is true! 

If you have a compass, or way seeking mind, you're in good shape. You can't get lost in a compass the way you can in a map. The compass lives in a footstep, the way seeking mind lives in a footstep or the page turning. Despite what the map says, you have to check in to make sure you're due north.

Maps can seem like they conflict and same is for sutras. Some people say that The Lankavatara is harder to study than The Lotus Sutra, but I say no! No comparison, really. While The Lankavatara is going to test your patience with the salt of emptiness, The Lotus Sutra is going to gorge you on the rice of parables, skillful means, and faith based practice.

The Lankavatara tested everything that I thought I knew about dharma. For example, how long did I spend studying the twelve fold chain of caustion, trying to let events, people, ideas be free from their attributes while acknowledging, if not trying to examine, the arising of causes and conditions? Then you turn the page of The Lankavatara to read about The Forbearance of Arising. There is no causation, there is no arising outside of the projection of mind. What a leap! I still can't believe it. So people say The Lankavatara is hard in this conceptual respect. They say the Three Modes of Reality and the Eight Levels of Conciousness are hard to unpack. It was difficult. But is it more difficult than The Lotus Sutra? 

When I read Chapter 15 Emerging From The Earth, this verse struck me:

Be diligent and of single mind
For the Buddha wishes to explain this affair
Have no doubts of regrets
The Buddha's wisdom is hard to fathom
Now you must put forth the power of faith
Abiding in patience and goodness
A dharma which has never been heard you all now be able to hear
Now the Buddha will bring you ease and consolation
Do not harbor doubts or fears
The Buddha has nothing but truthful words
His wisdom cannot be measured
This foremost Dharma which he has gained
is very profound
incapable of analysis
He will now expound it
Listen with a single mind.

What's hard about this is the way it flies in the face of the Zen teaching of no abode. Put forth the power of faith? Abide in patience and goodness? What would Chao-chou say about this? 

I don't know. I think he'd say keep your compass ready and remember it lives in the footstep. I take my compass and step forward into this promising sutra, wondering what Hakuin and Dogen loved so much about it. That Huangbo also liked it is encouraging. You know, it seems hard to avoid abiding a little in each footstep but what I think is important is that the foot is ready to lift making way for the next footstep. Abiding in non-abiding is some kind of abiding, I think. 

So maps and compasses aside, the path is what it is. Some days The Lanka, some days The Lotus, most days just these muddy fields while the ground ironically screams for water.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …