Skip to main content

Zen training: What it is and what it isn't

I've heard it all: Theres no true Zen in America, institutions ruin Zen, priests ruin Zen, There's true Zen at Antaiji, Hermit Zen is where it's at, T-shirt and jeans Zen is enough, just sitting is enough, just reading is enough, just looking at what the Old Men of Zen "said" is enough, robes aren't Zen, sitting isn't Zen, Zazen isn't Zen, Zen in Japan is dead, Zen never existed in India, Zen was invented in China, there are no Zen teachers in china, that teacher is not a true Zen teacher, this lineage is a true Zen lineage, that's not real Zen because you all marry, there is a lot of Zen online, this is real zen from a real awakened teacher, there is no such thing as zen, and that, that is definitely not zen. And ya mama, she ain't Zen.

All of that ribbin' makes me want to take a nap! But it also inspires me to look up during a ceremony; is this Zen we're droning on about through the Dai Hi Shin Darani? Are these black robes helping me? How many stiches did I really put in this blue rakusu? How did I end up memorizing all these chants? Does it really matter if the spoon or the chopsticks come out first? Who the hell are the 7 Buddhas before Buddha? What and where is the warm hand of my teacher and the wordless transmission? As I sit on the tan and rest my eyes where the wood meets the plaster wall, what is zazen?

Everyday the temple comes to life. I put my robes on in the pitch black of 3am (my partner is sleeping). I drink green tea so my eyes stop twitching. I look at the Lankavatara. I make tea for the abbess. I go into the Zendo. I sit, chant, and do soji. Eat breakfast. Go to work on the farm. Eat lunch. Go to work. Go to Zazen (if I don't pass out or work overtime). Go to dinner. Go to class or a dharma talk. Go to bed around 9.

So, I guess that's one way to train.

Another way might be to wake up at 5, drink coffee, go into the Zendo, chant, ride your bike to work, teach kids all day, ride home, sit at 5, eat dinner, talk on the phone with your teacher, watch a movie, go to bed.

Another way might be to find a book, like Thich Nhat Hanh's The Sun My Heart read it, fold your legs into a full lotus, miss the point about the ol' zafu under your bottom, and let your knees butterfly up in the air, fold in on yourself in grueling pain, find another book, throw The Fundamental Wisdom of the Middle Way down, find another book, try and connect to people online, find another book, and another, and another...

Another way might be to pick up Pema Chodron's Things Fall Apart, meet with clients and listen to their lives, go to your closed therapists only sitting group (because your town is small and you don't want to run into your clients) listen to dharma talks while walking around the park or lying in the bathtub.

Another way might be to go to Antaiji, start training with the Tenzo, fall in love with the place, have a pressure cooker explode, knock you out, melt your chest, and flee Japan and the 10,000 dollar medical bills, never to return again unless you want to pay 10,000.

Another way might to do small construction jobs which allows you to sit in the morning and in the night, study when you want to, and host a sitting group once a week.

Another way might be to chop wood, one day hear the diamond sutra recited and become awakened on the spot.

Some of these examples are me. Some are friends. All are real people with a practice. Real people eeking out a practice in a world full of Ipods, X-boxes, bars, careers- a dusty, dusty world.

Usually a teacher is suggested. I like the term "dangerous friend." A teacher is someone who faces the Buddha and invites you join her. This is good if you're really interested in the warm hand to warm hand, more watching less talking style.

Usually a Sangha is suggested. At the end of my day, my practice is sometimes for me but most of the time for the sister or brother to my right or my left. We carry the schedule, we carry the head and face of our Buddha ancestors. Simultaneously, our practice is for the One who is not busy.

Usually Dharma is suggested. These could be the teachings or they could be whatever helps build confidence to take the Buddha's seat. I like what Ikkyu says: "Only one koan matters: you."

Some people think sitting is required. I think trying to see forms and hear sounds, fully engaging body and mind, is required. But sitting? I love it! My partner, not so much. Our farm elder, a resident of 40 some years, harvests lettuce as a practice. I also think running is a nice practice. Tea is a nice practice. Walking is zen, sitting is zen.

Zen training is a sincere wish! You can't go wrong. Even Angulimala took refuge from the rain of blood. Home leaver or house holder, we renounce equally. Even if it seems like we're ruining our lives, don't worry, we're not that powerful. Even if you kill yourself, you can't kill Buddha.

Zen training is an expression, just complete this moment!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …