Skip to main content

Dharma Gates are Boundless, I Vow to Enter Them


In addition to keeping this blog, I also keep a composition note book (modgepodged with neat pictures). I’m 2 pages from filling my current note book. In one month at Green Gulch, I’ve written half of it full. During my 4 year teaching career, I filled a composition once a year. This means I’ve written more in one month than I did with 6 months in my old life. I don’t know what this points to, but it’s interesting, and I must admit, it feels just plain good.


It might have filled up so fast because I do about 4 things in the same notebook now: Chart my moods with a line graph, write a haiku everyday, confess ancient twisted karma, investigate kensho or satori (delusion?), and take copious amounts of cornell notes on what I am studying.


Please let me express my elation at having time and teachers for formal sutra study. It is slow and tedious work. For the last week, I’ve read the same three pages of the Lankavatara sutra and it’s not getting old. I pop out of bed at 3:50am so I can get 40 minutes of study in; it is a wonderful life! I think this may be my dharma gate.


Just to let any non-zennies know, this is a completely optional, perhaps even discouraged practice. In the Zen tradition, you don’t have to read a lick if you don’t want to, and I really take refuge in that. This path is open to anyone who has the will to pick em’ up and puttem’ down (the feet), follow the schedule, open their hearts, let go, and radically accept.


But before and after I do all that, I like, I love, I lurve, to read the old instructions, the old stories. Hearing that Shi-Shi Bodai got his head cut off and milk squirted to the sky and the old King’s axe wrapped around his hand, which fell off, brings me opening. Unpacking the the 5th skhanda and its 8 levels inspires me. It speaks to me; it tells me there is more than I am seeing, it tells me that the story may not be “true” but it the story is truly being told, maybe a thousand years later, by us, and that’s the warm hand to warm hand warming my heart.


Some others, before and after, practice the way of tea. Poetry for the other others, and onward to calligraphy, flower arranging, archery, sauntering in the mountains (which I dabble in) and countless, boundless, dharma gates.


So...what is your dharma gate?

Comments

  1. Beautiful post AJ. Still looking for my dharma gate but looking is pretty fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing has always been very therapeutic for me. It seems like it has been for you too; it's like it has become a part of your spiritual practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might have been my first practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Study geeks unite. This is what drew me to the Maezumi lineage. Dalai Grandma is right, below, of course. Dharma gates are limitless, or at least numbering 10,000 -- depending on your sources.

      Delete
  4. I have practices - liking contemplative poetry this year - but I read "dharma gates are countless" to signify that every moment is reality: enter there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to say "contemplative photography," though I still write poetry now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …