Skip to main content

Buddha Nature Part III

Last night was the last Buddha Nature class with Jiryu. It was a brave approach to eat the painted rice cake. We started the class like we did 6 weeks ago, by sitting together and offering our understanding of Buddha nature.

Arising from our silent posture, some said,:

What's not Buddha nature

Mu

To transcend our mundane experience

Put a log on the fire

I've got a bicycle, I've got a bicycle, and it's got a bell and basket, the bell goes ring a ding a ding ding, you can ride it if you want to, but I can't give it to you, because I borrowed it

True intimacy.

I said:

Breathing quietly with the Sangha.

I wish I said:

Breathing quietly with the Sangha
Not breathing quietly with the Sangha

Jiryu pointed out, as we reviewed Dogen's Bussho, that reading Dogen is watching him write down a teaching from the ancestors, and hearing him say, well that's not true. Then seeing what he's written down and saying, well that's not true. It's this process of being stuck, getting unstuck, and getting stuck again.

Ironically, we chanted the closing of class at the beginning. This was a complete accident! In our tradition, we chant before class or lecture and after class or lecture. The first chant is about being be open to hear the true dharma, the closing chant is about our intention to benefit all beings. So, there we sit, and Jiryu proceeds in, and we start:

May our intention equally extend to every being and place
With the true merit of Buddha's way
Beings are numberless, I vow to save them
Delusions are inexhaustible, I vow to end them
Dharma gates are boundless, I vow to enter them
The Buddha's way is unsurpassable, I vow to become it.

Right after we were done, a long time practitioner and layman said, "Well that was a quick class!" And Jiryu joked that what else could possibly be said? What could ever be said about Buddha Nature? But of course we stayed and entered the discourse.

I was there, but I was a little lost. My study of the Lankavatara is going well, but it's a bit challenging to have my inner voice say, "Yeah, but emptiness belongs to an imagined reality. Yeah, Buddha nature belongs to an imagined reality. My friend, and Shuso, Reirin, she belongs to an imagined reality. This is mind-only, conscious construction, and even that belongs to an imagined reality."

Sky castle, spinning fire, perception is deception.

But, it's important to show up. My mind was also thinking about Harry, and our discussion over at Wild Fox Zen, which is way beyond any linear progression at this point. We ended (or did we?) with Harry bring up the story of the painted rice cake and the real rice cake. We need that painted rice cake, too (on this we agree, I think).

The rice cake is the real thing, which we might taste or might not taste, by sitting, or some other dharma gate.

The painted rice cake is this blog, a class on Buddha nature, a discussion of painted rice cakes.

We need this all, even if this is an imagined reality. We also need to proceed with joy and enthusiasm, even in this imagined reality. Why?

Because there are numberless beings to be saved.

Like the Lankavatara says,

Samsara is an illusion
But karma is relentless.

Comments

  1. Because there are numberless beings to BE saved, brother.

    (Sorry, English major disease, I proofread compulsively).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very welcome. Thanks for the recommendation (elsewhere here) of The Way of True Zen, started it last night. Pure pith. Yet, as direct as he is, still takes time for imagery like the dust mote that becomes the whole earth. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Vows and Compass

Being in new Orleans reminds me that my way seeking mind ripened here. Maybe it was the level of maturity my father's recovery actualized. Maybe it was the Ben Wren book I found at Beaucoup Books on my lunch break. Maybe it was my step mom's copy of things fall apart by Pema Chodron sitting in the bathroom.

Later I would witness the host of suffering post-katrina offered to a young public school teacher. How could I help? I took my first set of vows not really knowing where they would lead, like the old black metal compass my dad put in my Christmas stocking when I was about ten. Beautiful to hold, difficult to understand.

Now, years later, I feel a bit subdued as form,sensation, perception, impulse, and thought tag everything, beckoning some purchase for the price of belief. I'm home, but a home leaver. People wonder when I'll move back and being a home leaver means being ready to leave home again and again, which could mean coming back.

How will I actually engage all…