Skip to main content

Leaving Home, Staying Home

My wife, taking my Rakusu for a spin. I have two...one from my first teacher, and the one she is wearing, which says Kogen Chikan on the back...Ancient Source, Wisdom Mirror. A lot to live up to! Deshimaru said that just wearing a rakusu, even if just for a second, changes your being. Lulu said, " It did feel kinda special, but that's about it. Made me want one."

However, in our household, when we get something new, we usually get rid of something old, and ironically, we're actually getting rid of a lot of things so that we can get two resident Zen priests for the new zendo, which she is standing in. And I really like Reb Anderson's idea that anyone who takes the precepts is a renunciate, and that is to say that we recognize that nothing is actually "ours." Leaving home or staying home, the path to liberation is still hard to map out.

Someone called Reb out and articulated what I never could. She said, "Even though you're saying that lay practitioners can stay home and attain liberation, I still get the impression that being a priest or monk is better." and Reb said, "Only if by better you mean easier." His point was that when you wear a kesa, that's a symbol to the world that you keep the Buddha way, and the world becomes a foundation of practice, because it's full of others wearing the kesa and sharing "pointers" freely.

I know that when I don't have a Zendo within 20-50 feet of my bed, I don't make it to daily Zazen. It's a crutch, I don't walk the path without it.

My own teacher counseled me to choose my own suffering. That whether I chose to go to Antaiji or some other place, i'd still have to come back to the ubiquitous here and now. Suffer in New Orleans, suffer in Japan, suffer in California, you can have suffering anywhere.

And then there is my good friend who has been a priest for about 5 years, lived in Zen centers and monasteries for longer, and he said, from whereever he is, "This is no place to practice buddhism."

I had to think for a second, because we're actually planning to switch places. Lulu and I are leaving in the summer for full time practice. He and his partner are the priests who are coming here to run the zendo and build a temple. They want jobs so they don't have to "sell" Zen, or workshops that look like Zen, and they want to run an "honest" zendo. They don't want to sell water by the river.

And I'm thinking, "Look at us, aren't we funny?" Because I have felt that my job here is too exhausting. That I don't know the sutras, I can't tell you about the paramitas, I can barely make it to Zazen, and I get caught up in so many things.

I felt like I know something about this workaday world that he has forgotten. And I know his experience is his truth. And we might both be right, or both be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that practice is hard, if not grueling, where ever we sit. And not practicing is grueling. And then sometimes practice is so fulfilling. And sometimes sleeping in is just what I needed.

Pretty much, everything is what it is, except when it isn't. Reb says the path of the priest is easier for someone who wants all the help in the world to keep the precepts, and I guess it will be while it is, and it won't be when it isn't. And as for lay practice, it's all I know, and it's been...well, most of us know exactly what it's like!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Are The Ones Who Can Die

This is me hunting hogs with a semi-automatic weapon. This was a past life( about 8 years ago.)

A lot can change in 8 years.

I grew up around guns. I received my first when I was 10 years old. I went to a high school with a shooting range in the basement, for the high school competitive rifle team. My dad, a career Marine, gave thorough instruction, you better believe. And for most of my life I could take them or leave them. I wasn't into guns like a lot of my friends, but I knew how to shoulder a carbine so the shell didn't eject and hit me in the eye.

That was in Pennsylvania. New Orleans was a completely different scene and the reality of gun violence really hit home (sometimes too literally). I have friends who have been shot in street violence and in combat zones. I have been threatened with a weapon and I have loaded guns with a notion of self defense.

And I used to believe that it was my right to do so.

But today I'm sad and I want to touch that sadness. I lost my …

The Transformation of Ceremony

Ordination Day

I want to say something about the transformational aspect of a ceremony. Like wine to blood, from person to priest, practice enlightenment as transmogrification. Like cucumbers to pickles, surprise! 
I underestimated the ceremony. After pursuing ordination for nine years I had visualized it into nothing. Having junior monks pass me by, then disrobe, then put the robe back on before I even got to wear it once lent a sobering perspective. Imagination dispensed. I sat and stitched and lived practice in a way where oryoki wasn't a treat, Zazen wasn't something I could talk about, and robes started to have gravity- they were not without weight. 
And I think that's the first element of my ceremony: a period of discernment and someone to discern with. In the case of ordination, my teacher, our tanto, and other priests served as mirrors and sounding boards for these two questions: Why do I want to be a priest and what is a priest? It was about as clear as wine tran…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…