Skip to main content

Just feeling good...

...But tired.

So, Jiryu's teaching on finding the practice in our life really struck a chord in me. Maybe because it started something like, "I know a lot of lay practitioners who trudge through life pining away for some other life, maybe another life at Green Gulch, where the practice will be better."

That's horribly elaborated and not really a quote as much as what I took away from his talk. But if your interested, it is on the SFZC website.

And then the next day I asked my teacher (I forgot, I actually have a Zen teacher who speaks living words every Sunday, even if they're not the words I want to hear, like "No, I will not ordain you") how we get a handle on our struggle to practice. That coming to the Zen temple once a week is hard enough and going every day was hard, and living there for 9 months was hard and...that's all he needed to hear.

He said "Just make sure you sit. It's best to sit with us, but if not with us, make sure it's the first thing you do, it's your greatest responsibility."

And that's horribly paraphrased, too. But it's what I heard.

I forgot that it's my responsibility to sit. That's I'm not wedging into full lotus so I keep my hips open, but that by sitting, I'm doing something for the world. I'm fulfilling my precepts and my vows.

And so I went yesterday for our regular Sunday extended Zazen/Mundo/Kusen and I went this morning for what I could- the first half hour.

I also went to yoga for the last five days.

This Flying Pig is flapping around, gettin' some air.

Comments

  1. "your greatest responsibility..." even if paraphrased, gorgeously resonant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I like it. When you think of it like that and you make sitting your greatest responsibility, the rest of life doesn't seem quite so hard.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Goodbye Green Gulch Sama! Hello Tassajara!

About two years ago I left Mid City Zen in New Orleans. I feared I was leaving something, and now I'm about to leave Green Gulch and that same fear has arisen. I imagined there was wealth, a sort of freedom, and a lot to "renounce."  I had a car (a fast one!), a playstation 3, many books, many articles of clothing, and as I look around our little cabin, that same perception has arisen- I have too much stuff! And I like it!

My book collection that I sold or gave away in New Orleans has somehow manifested out here. And I have quite the collection of farm hats and farm boots. Rubber ones, Redwings, Ropers, Bogs to the ankle, Bogs to the knee, a navy seal Solomon for the wet spring weather. Most of them are fit to throw away, glued back together and stitched with fishing line, and just so smelly, so smelly my wife won't let me keep them in the cabin, so I hide them all around Green Gulch.

So I started packing, and while that fear of renunciation has arisen, it's not …