Skip to main content

Gaki

Only the first step has to do with abstinence. The next eleven are much more difficult, and the hardest one so far was the 7th- to turn my character defects over to a higher power for removal.

Defects? Removal? I already posted about this.

Leaving the Roshi out of it, I asked the Shuso if I could have the Zendo for Saturday morning. I filled him in on my "confession/refuge" ceremony, one I'd learned at Green Gulch, and he said it was fine, as long as I wasn't chanting in Pali or English or anything else that was hippy-yoga Zen or what he called "fluffy." This was fine. I didn't see it coming, but it didn't surprise me.

My sponsor came over at 7am. The Shuso offered to help out, but I figured he just wanted to make sure the chants were correct, and this wasn't Zen business, but A.A business, and my relationship with my sponsor, who is a very sentimental, affectionate ,older man, would make him uncomfortable, so I said I was fine.

I placed a zafu off to the side for my sponsor. He'd only need to witness this whole thing. I struck the gong in an accelerando, which seemed appropriate to get started. We do a lot of accelerando work with our Zen pieces of wood and metal, and it's a good way to settle things down. I offered shoko, and did prostrations. In front of the altar, I went on my knees, just like when I took Jukai, and I did a short dedication to the first ten Buddhas. Then the confession sutra, three times, followed by taking refuge in the three treasures. I finished up with our general dedication, you know, the one to the ten directions, and did three more prostrations. I closed with an accelerando.

I did this a couple times by myself as homework after the 6th step, which entails discussing all the defects with my sponsor. Without a witness, it didn't really feel like much. Having my sponsor there brought a little energy. It wasn't like I was performing, but it did feel a little like a Buddhist mitzvah, with the solo chanting and all. I invited him to chant, but he wasn't into it.

Afterward, I went to a meeting. People were talking, telling my story. Whenever I'm in a meeting, I don't think of alcoholics, but I think of Gaki, the hungry ghosts. This insatiable urge to fill a perceived void seems so ubiquitous, I fear the term alcoholic deters many from a 12 step program that would probably help them. I think humans anonymous would be nice. Everyone needs fellowship. Everyone has hungry ghosts haunting them.

Not drinking is a great idea for me, as well as not doing anything too much, too quickly, and that's what A.A has done for me. But alcohol was just one substance, with the most visible effects. Being a dry drunk isn't being sober. I used to think that living in the moment meant doing whatever I wanted, when I wanted. I don't know what I think now, but I think more slowly, for sure.

Comments

  1. So you have disappeared without saying goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a bit too "Mu", Man.

    Let us know.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How To Become A Zen Monk (or die trying)

"Now, if you have decided to become a monk because you think that life in this world is too hard and bitter for you and you would prefer to rather live off other people's donations while drinking your tea - if you want to become a monk just to make a living, then the following is not for you." -Kosho Uchiyama
So you want to be a Zen monk or priest? Unsui, which means clouds and water? Good on ya. Me too. 
Having googled that very aspiration for the first time in 2003, I was convinced it was impossible. I'll admit I am as thick headed as they come. I was also resistant to meet some figure in a robe. I heard my father's voice when I begged him to get my fortune read in Jackson Square, New Orleans, "I'm not paying some fat asshole in a bathrobe to tell you lies." Instead, for the first four years of my Zen practice, I committed as little as possible to my local sangha, left when they started chanting, and never talked to the teacher. I was so unapproacha…

Boredom and Buddhism

To say I feel bored feels disrespectful. How could that be? I have a three month old daughter, I'm training for a demanding job in the temple, I'm a wilderness medic responding to incidents every 4 days or so, and I'm sewing my priest robes for ordination. And I have this sense of disinterest.

I have a few theories as to why I feel bored. One could be the natural come down from having the baby and becoming stable in our schedule. Another come down plays out in the adrenaline crash after responding to a medical emergency or the general up keep work I do at the temple when compared to fixing something crucial to operations. When I hear there's a fire in the area I'm pretty excited to be mobilized for stay and defend duty. I feel pretty guilty about that, too.

So I read Beyond Boredom and Depression by Ajahn Jagaro and I was reminded to be careful about looking outward by this passage:

So what is boredom? It is a subjective experience that occurs when the mind is not i…

Vows and Compass

Being in new Orleans reminds me that my way seeking mind ripened here. Maybe it was the level of maturity my father's recovery actualized. Maybe it was the Ben Wren book I found at Beaucoup Books on my lunch break. Maybe it was my step mom's copy of things fall apart by Pema Chodron sitting in the bathroom.

Later I would witness the host of suffering post-katrina offered to a young public school teacher. How could I help? I took my first set of vows not really knowing where they would lead, like the old black metal compass my dad put in my Christmas stocking when I was about ten. Beautiful to hold, difficult to understand.

Now, years later, I feel a bit subdued as form,sensation, perception, impulse, and thought tag everything, beckoning some purchase for the price of belief. I'm home, but a home leaver. People wonder when I'll move back and being a home leaver means being ready to leave home again and again, which could mean coming back.

How will I actually engage all…