Thursday, January 29, 2009

I will go to work, I will go to work, I will go to work.

I went to work.


I'm done being vague- who's going to find me out? Maybe I want to be found. After reading the last few posts, I realized I'm protecting the organizations I belong to. And who knows, maybe there is nothing to protect.


I have three lives right now- I'm a teacher in the New Orleans Recovery School District, I'm a resident at the New Orleans Zen Temple, and I'm in A.A. I've been teaching for almost two years, at the temple just as long (as a resident,5 months), and sober for three months. When I'm not grading papers, sitting zazen or doing samu, or working the 12 steps, I like to take a Bikram yoga class. I'm also studying for the GRE, which I'm not completely sure is worthwhile, but since my students are so test focused, I wanted to join them in their anxiety. It's not the same though, because my studying is going well and I don't expect to do well on math. And there are no stakes. My anxiety comes from elsewhere.


For instance, my Roshi's 76th birthday party (also the anniversary of our temple). Robert's senior student put me in charge. I'm the 2nd and last resident, which bumps me ahead of some other lay practitioners who have been around longer. Anyway, I can't imagine I'll make anything Robert will like.


I remember my jukai, last year. Jeff prepared a feast: rack of lamb, asparagus, roasted potatoes, and choice wines and cheeses. We're a Deshimaru lineage and Robert lived in France with him for at least 20 years. So not only do we break a lot of "rules" by eating meat, smoking, and drinking, but we do it well, with class and style.


Despite what I thought was a grand meal, Robert delivered a scathing review.


My Zen teacher is a surly guy who thinks with his kyosaku. I like him, but I'm not sure how far I'll go with him. He's fine for right now.


I don't drink anymore, so Jeff is in charge of beverages. I also don't prepare meat; I'm not a vegetarian, as I take what's in my bowl, or on the menu, but I don't cook with meat. I was vegan when I came to New Orleans, but it didn't last long.


So here is my menu of light fare: Humus, vegetables/pita, spring rolls, egg rolls(with pork!), and bruchetta w/toasted baguette slices.


I made a practice batch of egg rolls last night. The sauce was a little off and the filling was a little bland.


I think this is my debut as tenzo. I'll try and serve the supreme meal.


1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog, Flyingpig, I look forward to learning how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete